The mission of the Center for Sustainable Business is to maximize the value of investments in sustainable business strategies for all stakeholders. We accomplish this by leveraging the unique expertise and capabilities of an active research and teaching community together with the applied knowledge and industry experience of some of the world’s most influential companies.
Our purpose is to galvanize businesses thrive for all. Substantively, under our 2025 Roadmap, we are the business strategy catalyst behind three interrelated work streams. Our Decarbonize Middle America (DMA) efforts will increase the number of companies in the region with working strategies aligned to the Paris Accord’s 2030 Targets for a just transition to a clean and circular economy, with the Marshall Plan for Middle America (MP4MA) being one example initiative in this effort. Our Workforce 100% (WF100) efforts will increase the number of companies in the region that have turned rhetoric into action with strategies to have workforces 100% representative of their communities with decent work for all by 2030. Our ESG Rosetta Stone efforts will increase the Environmental, Social, Governance (ESG) literacy of the region so that literate talent is stepping into more leadership roles in all sizes at all levels and able to collaborate across all functions by 2025. Undergirding these three work streams is the Sustainable Business Forum, a unique peer-to-peer learning opportunity for member companies.
- Basic Benchmarking: Assess participating companies on their progress in decarbonization, workforce development and ESG literacy against the workstream goals.
- Leaderboard Benchmarking: Provide participating companies with advanced insights to help them model the way towards various workstream goals.
- Strategy Self-Service: Hosting a co-developed set of tools to guide small and medium businesses through setting strategies.
- Solution Saloons: Creating a resource group for peer-to-peer accountability in meeting 2030 targets.
- Accelerators: Short burst strategy support to Sustainable Business Startups via mentoring and training, with a one-year cohort accountability network.
- Open Innovation Sourcing: Sourcing of solution ideas to linchpin barriers.
- CSB Corps: Matching MBA interns trained in sustainability issues with host SMBs in the multi-state region.
- Youth Leaderboard: Engaging, activating, and collaborating with tomorrow’s leaders today.
- Sustainability Generalists: Cultivating sustainable business thinking in unmet areas.