Mountain Watershed Association, home of the Youghiogheny Riverkeeper, works to protect, preserve, and restore the Indian Creek and greater Youghiogheny River watersheds. We have a unique approach in that we pursue on-the-ground restoration of past environmental damages while also advocating on local issues as well as regional and national issues that have a local impact.
- We hold polluters and environmental regulators accountable in order to protect communities and the environment.
- We conduct patrols, pursue increased stream protections and unsuitable for mining designations in sensitive areas, and through our Marcellus Citizen Stewardship Project, advocate for tighter regulations on shale gas development.
- We use state and federal laws to ensure communities and our water are protected.
- We file complaints with regulatory authorities and investigate citizen complaints.
- We conduct extensive water quality monitoring around the Youghiogheny River watershed, and we’re currently developing the Indian Creek Valley Trail and the Youghiogheny River Water Trail.